This is the last week of classes for this semester. We have three exams next week and then a two day break before we start the last semester of our first year. The time as really flown by. I thought it would go fast, but not this fast.
I really had no desire to post anything the last few weeks. Nothing really interesting happened, anyway. We had a bunch of lectures and a few exams. We finished our surgery unit with a practicum and final exam. For the practicum we had to demonstrate different sutures and hand ties. We did all of the suturing on pig feet. I enjoyed sutures and am looking forward to doing it on live patients next year.
The three exams coming up next week are Behavioral Medicine, Dermatology, and Geriatrics. Last semesters final week was insanely hard compared to this one. All of these exams shouldn't be too difficult and we only have three of them.
I am looking forward to a little break. The weather has been awesome here. We have had three straight days in the 90's and next week looks to be in the high 70's and 80's.
Next semester we are studying women's and men's health, Emergency Medicine, and Pediatrics. The semester goes through June and then we have a two week break before the clinical year begins. We received our clinical year schedules a few weeks ago. I will be spending most of my time at Durham Regional Hospital. I will also be in Fayetteville (Fort Bragg), Roxboro, Duke, Raleigh, and Utah. We have 10 rotations during the clinical year. Eight are required and two are electives that we choose. The required rotations are: Surgery, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Behavioral Medicine, OB-GYN, and Evidence Based Medicine (which is our Master's project). As of now my electives are in Orthopedics and Cardiology.
I get asked a lot by friends and family what I am going to do as a PA. I really don't know. Right now I am most interested in Emergency, Oncology, Orthopedics, and surgery. I am trying to keep an open mind for the clinical year as hope that something really jumps out and feels right. There are a few things I know I don't want to do, so that is good.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Are all those places your rotations are at close enough you can drive back and forth each day? How long do each of them last? Which ones are you doing in Utah? I agree with you, the past year has gone by pretty fast. How long do you get to stay for Phil's wedding?
I think I fell asleep twice:) but it was good to hear from you!!! Still waiting for "THIS OR THAT"!!!
Post a Comment