Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another "best day of PA school"

We had a pretty good week of school. We finished up our Nephrology unit and had the exam on Thursday. It definately was not my favorite unit. Besides the fact that it was hard to grasp, it just wasn't that interesting.

Occasionaly we meet over lunch in small groups of about 6 students and 1 advisor and discuss an ethical topic. We met this week and discussed a scenario where a patient is seeking narcotics from you and you know that they are getting prescriptions from multiple providers. We had a good discussion with some very good insights to the situation.

We had a lecture on eating disorders and one on human sexuality for our behavioral medicine unit. We have a few more lectures this week and the exam Friday.

We started a rheumatology unit this week which will continue on through next week, with the exam on Monday. We had lectures on Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis, Sarcoidosis, and Radiology.

Friday was another one of those days that reinforces my love of medicine. We went to the fresh tissue lab at the hospital and rotated through four stations. We did a thoracocotomy, thoracoscopy, and a chest tube. It was great. We each got to do as much as we wanted to at each station. The other station was a lecture on laproscopy. After all that, we went back to DPAP (Duke of Physician Assistant Program) and practice doing IV's on each other. I personally think these activities are very important because we get to see and feel what the patients will go through. The student working on me couldn't find the vein (in my hand) and poked and proded for awhile before finally giving up. Yes, it really hurt. I got it on my first try, but when I tried to get the saline in I found out I had the catheter up against a valve and couldn't get any in. I guess there was nothing I could do at that point. It was a great experience.

To anwer some questions from your comments, I did know that I was being filmed for the video on the website. They asked for some volunteers and I thought it would be cool to be on the website. I learned a few things about kidney stones. Mostly that I don't want to ever get one and I feel bad for people who do. Drink lots of fluids and lay off the fast food to try to prevent them. If you have had one kidney stone you have about an 80% chance of getting another one in the next 10 years.

Sorry for not having any pictures this week.

1 comment:

Terra May said...

Hey JD, there are 2 opening for PAs in Logan right now. Hurry up and get done!!! All you do sounds so interesting.

I hadn't heard about the connection between fast food and kidney stones before - very interesting! My urologist told me caffeine can cause them. He also said CV water has a lot of the minerals that can cause them too. Whatever the cause, they are not a pleasant experience.